Life is an adventure sport, diving headfirst into a hole of unpredictability for a glimpse of satisfaction. The adrenaline from facing your fears, winning the impossible, living the unpredictable is relishing.
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Though sometimes, life can be a little overwhelming and one tries to find a way to reduce stress. Stress has become part and parcel of life and lets us be the one to assure you, that it is okay.
It is okay to be stressed, anxious, depressed, scared. It doesn’t make you weak, it makes you more alert about your emotions which not many people can do! Become aware of your mind and you can control your life!
Though do not fret, here are some of the best ways to relieve stress quickly whenever needed.
1. A Healthy Diet
Eating a healthy diet can reduce the negative effects of stress on your body,” said Matthew J. Kuchan, Ph.D., a senior research scientist at Abbott. Stress has a negative impact on the blood flow harboring certain nutrients to pass through.
A healthy diet improves the blood flow, making a better pass for (EPA and DHA), vitamin E, and polyphenols (found in red wine, blueberries, and dark chocolate) to flow through our body. It counteracts stress by stabilizing moods and reduces blood pressure. Here are some healthy stress relievers to find comfort.
- Dark chocolate: Who doesn’t love chocolate when they are down? Dark chocolate is a great alternative for the comfort that we all crave for. Cocoa contains an amino acid called tryptophan that your brain uses to produce the neurotransmitter Serotonin, which can increase feelings of overall happiness. So get a dark chocolate cake and watch cute dog videos for #instantseretoninboost! Indeed, Chocolate is one of the best ways to relieve stress.
- Fruits: A bowl of delicious fruits with bright colours is already a sight we want to see. Fruits have natural sugars, Vitamin C and Vitamin E which apparently decreases anxiety levels and relieves stress according to a study, published in November 2013 in the Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences.
- Avocados: We shouldn’t be surprised that avocados again saved the day. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids that reduce anxiety, relieve stress, boost mood, and improves concentration. There is no guilt in having two avocado toasts while having a mental breakdown anymore.
- Yoghurt: Probiotics intake may reduce anxiety and stress levels and affects the brain activities’ emotions and sensations. Yoghurt is a part of the probiotic family, as probiotics are healthy for the gut they are also healthy for the mind. Hence when the mother gives you sugar and yoghurt next time, do not deny it!
- Herbal Teas: Herbal teas have proven to bring comfort. The soothing benefits vary from their tastes to smells. Peppermint, Lavender, Chamomile, Green tea, Rose are few of the many teas used often. Do remember some may relieve stress instantly and others might help you if you drink them daily. Either way, a soothing cup of herbal tea overlooking the rains will definitely relieve stress!
2. Interesting Supplements:
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is a root native to India and North Africa proved as one of the natural remedies for stress and tension. It was used in the Ayurveda practice for thousands of years and modern science also believes it to be a supplement to relieve stress. It has various endless benefits from losing weight, gaining mass weight, and acts as a great stress buster!
- Brahmi: Brahmi’s stress reduction properties are known by very few! It is an ancient Indian herb that reduces the levels of Cortisol, the stress hormone. It’s benefits do not limit there, It is great for improving memory, and if lack of a strong memory is one of the reasons for your stress, You must definitely consider this solution! It also boosts your Concentration power, and soothes your mind! Herbs are known to have a long-lasting effect when they are consumed with consistency and positivity!Similar herbs like Bhringraj, Jatamasi, Vacha have long-lasting properties to reduce stress!
- Ginseng: Panax Ginseng is a herb predominantly promoted in China, Korea, and other Asian countries that has qualities that can help to relieve stress. Ginseng provides a potential approach to regaining homeostasis after abnormal physiological changes caused by the stress of everyday life according to the US National Library of medicine.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that is produced at night by the pineal gland in the brain to synchronize circadian rhythm, the 24-hour cycle in the biological processes of living beings, including humans, animals, fungi, and even cyanobacteria. Melatonin is a supplement used mainly for insomnia, improving sleep in and reducing stress in different conditions.
A long walk along the promenade with calming music or a jog along with the greenery of mountains sounds really refreshing, right? One of the most natural ways to reduce stress is Exercising.
Exercise of any sort has proven to increase immunity, blood flow, metabolism, and so on. Exercising for an hour a day is an achievement which instantly boosts one’s confidence.
As all of us are stuck quarantining ourselves, exercising can be one of the few productive things we can do to reduce stress!
“Research suggests that daily meditation may alter the brain’s neural pathways, making you more resilient to stress.” says psychologist Robbie Miller Hartman.
Yoga is a calming exercise that one must do on a daily basis. Originated in India, Yoga has all the benefits one needs to be healthy. A practice that has been picked up globally today, has proved its effectiveness to reduce stress to many believers! It not only helps one reduce stress mentally but also makes him/her flexible physically!
As yoga acts to promote peace and flexibility, performing it on a regular basis makes it one of the best ways to relieve stress.
5. Deep breathing
“Deep breathing counters the effect of stress by slowing the heart rate and lowering blood pressure,” says psychologist Judith Tutin, PHD. She is a certified life coach in Rome, GA. While you are reading this article, don’t forget to close your eyes for a few seconds and take a deep breath! Let it all soak in!
If stuck in a stressful situation, you can try deep breathing as it will help you focus on being calm and give you a break. Words of Affirmation to yourself will help you boost confidence levels, and thus eliminate the reason to be stressed! Practice it every day thrice for best results! Words like “I can do this”, “I will do it”, “I am proud of myself for ____” and so on when said with 5 deep breathe counts & in front of the mirror on a daily basis, helps you keep your stability! Focusing on other things and diverting your mind can be one of the short term things to reduce stress.
6. Music: Healthy stress relievers
Music caters to everyone in the world. With so many genres and meaningful lyrics, music is one of the few things we come back to. It is one of the best ways to relieve stress because it transports you to another dimension leaving all your problems behind.
Sing along to one of your tunes, dance your problems away, give yourself the break you need to get along. Music takes over the mind and helps you relieve stress. So crank those tunes up!
7. Reach out
Reach out to your family and friends when you are feeling stressed, anxious, or depressed. Talking to people will lighten the weight of all the problems and worries that are pressing your mind. Reach out to a professional, they are trained to understand and help you. To reduce stress, one must let go of the Isolation lifestyle!
Friends, Family, Colleagues, and Partners pour confidence in your soul like no other. A network of close friends help you accept your weaknesses, inspire you to stand by you when you fight them! One does not need all of them, having only 1 such person would be enough!
Communication is the key to an improved well being. One might feel the world would not understand their problems but the world is not as bad as we think. Reaching out to someone whom you are comfortable with will make a lot of difference.
8. Be kind to yourself
Problems that lead to stress, anxiety, depression are unique to one’s own mind. Before taking any decision, think about what bodes well with you. These methods will work only if they are suitable for you and nobody can know that better than yourself. Give yourself the happiness you deserve because this is the best way to reduce stress.
Remind yourself these few pointers from time to time:
a. Understand your capacity and give yourself the benefit of the doubt.
b. Learn how to say NO when needed.
c. There is no need to juggle multiple responsibilities and deadlines if it doesn’t bode with your well being.
d. Understanding yourself will help you give out more efficient output no matter what you do.
e. Give yourself the time and space needed to become better.
f. Breakaway with things that bring you negativity.
g. Make yourself your highest priority.
h. We are always the harshest on ourselves, so be kind to yourself.
Ultimately, To reduce stress and control it, we must practice and make some of the best ways mentioned here as our habits.
You will then know that the art of healthy living is not that difficult at all! Find out the 5 easy steps here!
“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.”
– William James